WHAT WE DO….
CORE FUNCTIONS OF THE MINISTRY
Section 13 of the Civil Service Act 1993 (PNDCL 327) states the following:
“A Ministry shall:
(a) Initiate and formulate policies, taking into account the needs and aspirations of the people;
(b) Undertake development planning in consultation with the National Development Planning Commission; and
(c) Co-ordinate, monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the performance of the Sector”
Based on the above framework the Ministry of Works and Housing performs the following specific functions:
(a) Initiate and formulate housing and works policies taking into account the needs and aspirations of the people.
(b) Collaborate with MDAs to effectively disseminate information about Government policies, programmes and activities of the sector.
Coordinate, monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the performance of the Works and Housing Sector.
The strategic policy objectives are as follows: –
- Increase resilience of coastal settlements and infrastructure,
- Reduce the impact of disasters on natural resources using a multi-sectoral approach,
- Enhance capacity to mitigate and reduce natural disasters, risks and vulnerability,
- Provide, maintain and protect public property and infrastructure,
- Increase access to adequate, safe, secure and affordable shelter,
- Ensure secured, adequate and sustainable financing of the sector,
- Upgrade existing slums and prevent the occurrence of new ones,
- Improve and accelerate housing delivery in the rural areas,
- Promote and facilitate private sector participation in the delivery of infrastructure in the works and housing sub-sectors.
- Improve human resource and build institutional management capacity,
- Establish data-base for efficient and effective planning.
- Create the enabling environment for rental accommodation.
The development goals of the Ministry are:
- To sustainably manage available resources to improve access to safe, secure, decent and affordable housing to reduce the huge deficit,
- To ensure the sustainable development of infrastructure facilities in the area of flood control systems, drainage, coastal protection works and operational hydrology.